Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

1ZZ/2ZZ Engine Scion xD

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been watching this thread for a while, and I have to say, I've been laughing at a lot of the responses all the way through. Look, my "automotive education", if you will, started in DSM's and Honda's. Motor swaps get done on these cars ALL THE TIME. Niche market as it may be, it's still a market, and while a lot of you can say that it isn't economical, believe me, sometimes it is. Obviously if you have two motors in the same car, the one that has to work the least to pull the car is going to get better gas mileage, this would usually be the one with the most torque at lower rpms. I've done about 10 motor swaps in the last 2 years on Honda's and DSM's and I have to say, if done right, it's not as hard or timely as you might think. My Integra had a fully built B18 in it and pulled 45 miles to the gallon with the tune I had. My general formula is to take the price of the motor and add a $1,000 to that for new parts, etc. 2zz swaps are not that much if you piece them together yourself. I've seen longblocks on Craigslist for as little as $500. It seems to be a decent swap to me, and I can honestly say I will probably be doing this as soon as the drivetrain warranty is up. I guess my real point in all this is, don't slam someone else's ideas just because you think it's stupid, when there could be a quarter of a million magazine readers drooling over that car six months later, and yours has done nothing but sit in the garage. To each his own...
Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All im saying is this..

1. I'd personally like to see (performance wise) what the current motor can do before people begin to even start rumors and theories on swaps. Lets see how much power this motor can stand!

2. I'd love to eventually see a swap in the xd, its bound to happen when, where and by who no one knows.

3. You show me where you can get a full motor + tranny swap, standalone, and fully tuned under $10,000 and i'll shut up on here. My integra's standalone costed $4,500-$5,000 for tuning alone and thats just one example.

I predict that by the end of this year, begining of next year year we will start to see 150whp all motor xd's and 160-170whp boosted.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

for more info, untouchablegv@hotmail.com

both of the are on the street and running with their stock gauges, and stock a/c
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my xD was boosted lasted a hole year with 235 hp at the wheels, no ecu tuned at 12 psi, now with the 2zz engine currently 184 hp stock internals no ecu, the scions are beginning to be the talk on the street. the xA smoked a non stock srt-8 jeep yesterday and myself ran with other corollas xrs integras and believe me they couldn't believe their eyes...hehehe anyways like i said any questions feel free to ask, soon a yaris 2 doors with the 2zz engine and on youtube are some videos of the team...
Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet .. thanks for the share!

The only way I'd go to the 2zz is when my engine goes(after 250K.. 10+ years from now) , or possibly the new 1.8L DVVT-i engine- at least there I'd get better MPG over the 2zz, but still have 140hp.

The real question is, for how many more years is the 2zz going to be available w/ the 6-speed tranny ??
Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 2ZZ is out of production
Old 12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
the 2ZZ is out of production
Out of mass production for Toyota vehicles, yes, but it's not entirely out of production. There is only one company I know that still use the 2ZZ under licenses and that Lotus.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emptystreets130
Out of mass production for Toyota vehicles, yes, but it's not entirely out of production. There is only one company I know that still use the 2ZZ under licenses and that Lotus.

ur correct and plus there are a lot of used engines on the junkers and monkey wrench makes stock parts for it and performance wise, hehehe

correction the xD has 119 hp at the wheels stock, to have 140 hp u have to really put down some money and a 2zz has 170-180 basic parts...emm plus the lift and the rpms at 8500...priceless
Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice and props to anyone who does the swap. Me personally I will keep my xD as a little DD with minor mods. If I want performance I will get something like an LS2 GTO.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny thing is a 2zz equipped xD or something will jump you real quick. even the OE 1.8 lunk with a short ram intake has some getup. even a quick "burp" has got some nimrods to back off. they don;t know whats under the hood.....
Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive read some of this and i love how everyone just attacks the guy who suggested the swap. truth is if i had the money id do a swap. i love my car but im tried of it being slow and its taking way too long for anyone to come out with any serious mods for it. and this is were you say if everyone throws in 2k for a turbo kit than companys will listen. well companys should consider that theres 4 cars that i know of at least with this engine and whoever that first company is to produce a kit is gonna get all of our business. attack as you will but thats how i feel about it.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shoot ii wld be happy to go all motor with a 2zz. but money would be crazy esp. if you get the shop to do it. (no experience with swaps)
but lets break it down

motor 2k- ish
trans 1k-ish
modified motor mounts ???
you might need axles later on
a shop doing it prolly another atleast 3k

and if you wanna go with more performance parts or internals thats more $$$

thanks bank

but again. if I had the money I would probably go all motor lol
Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tranny and the engine cost 1200-1400 approx, if u like the proyects and have time the swap is a way to go, not many internals why? the 2zz is a very good stock engine performance oriented u don't have to put some performance parts right away stock pretty much defends it self, besides how many people will know u have a 2zz??? you can play with ur car for a lot of time and won't have to setup the ecu or anything why because it will be stock! no worries about engine breakdown, why it's stock the axles if you play ur cards right you will know where to find them and which car's axxles fit on our car...that's a secret i can;t say...but i really haven;t spend 1,500 on eveeerrythinggg and had 181 hp at the wheels!!! intake and exhaust, now is where the cams, pistons, pfc, header, intake manifold will be next, sooooo really i have a lot of races because in the all motor league there are a lot of people and cars to choose from, turbo there are all at very high HP, and people tend to respect more the all motor cars than the turbo why in my opinion NA is more difficult to produce HP than a turbo and really when u hear a scion with a lift is a head turn on everyone on the street LOL
Old 12-21-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if around 1.5-2.5k is the price range. it would be great. but 2 questions.
is the 2zz an easy drop in swap? (im sure there could be some sort of modifications)

and is there any obsticles you challenge when you get the trans. in aswell?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to attack anyone, or anything, but considering the time frame of when I'd possibly consider going for a 2zz swap, it most likely will be an inferior engine/tranny at the time. I could see 10 years from now, a 200hp / 80 mpg Toyota engine(could be a small V6 engine)
To each his own, but this thread/idea is kinda moot considering the era of engine technology that is unfolding before our eyes.

Last edited by Super-Stormtrooper07; 12-21-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

engine and tranny 2800

http://www.collectorcarsforsale.com/...456335777.html
Old 12-24-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow mine came with ecu, harness, axels, tranny, engine, motor mounts, 1,300, the stock corolla 05 oxygen sensors, and the flowmeter, the manifold and downpipe included, is a used engine btw...
Old 12-25-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

engine tech in fornt of our eyes? a 1.8 120HP isn;t ground breaking. years ago, Honda had that famliar 1.8 175hp I4. Toyota had that awesome 1.8 190HP engine. so I'm not sure whats awesome about our big underpowered engine other than it responds well to modification that no one will produce. so it's a postive note and inspirational to know about that 1zz/2zz swap.

now put those vids back on youtube. I can;t find'em.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone had like a price list for all the parts i'd need just my engine blew up and i need a new one
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dex117
hey guys i was just wondering if anyone had like a price list for all the parts i'd need just my engine blew up and i need a new one
lucky you. well engine 2k
trans 1k
u can use their ecu 100-200 bucks
custom mounts $?
your pretty much lookn at 6k tops

Quick Reply: 1ZZ/2ZZ Engine Scion xD