Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Can't get Oil Filter Housing off

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Domo, do the tC's have the cartrige-style filter like the xD or is it a typical spin-on type?

I bought a 64mm Assenmacher brand oil filter wrench and it works great. The model number is TOY640. Much better quality (and fit) than the stamped steel ones.

Just to shed a little light on an old post (and to help some newbies) I just bought an AST (I always giggle when I type or say 'Assenmacher') TOY640 wrench from Amazon. Expedited shipping and all it cost me like $22 USD. Not bad price and now I have the proper tool.

-Mike
Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fLyPiNoY7
can anyone give me any tips or tricks to get this housing off?...the cap type wrench just rounded over the edges and the clamp type just stripped the housing...im worried that ill have to resort to breaking this thing off and just getting a new housing by the looks of things...
If the housing is rounded, and the Cap Wrench slips when turning, put a sheet of newspaper over the filter before the cap wrench is placed on it and it'll get quite snug. You might have to tap LIGHTLY to get the cap on, and it will remove that case for you. Mine often slips too, and that trick ALWAYS WORKS! (The paper will make it fit tight)

Good Luck, and I hope I wasn't too late and you have not cracked the bugger open yet, coz removing the remaining parts will REALLY be fun...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cbmikey
Just to shed a little light on an old post (and to help some newbies) I just bought an AST (I always giggle when I type or say 'Assenmacher') TOY640 wrench from Amazon. Expedited shipping and all it cost me like $22 USD. Not bad price and now I have the proper tool.

-Mike

Just a quick follow up, I got my wrench early last week and I got my oil changed this past weekend. The AST TOY640 fit like a dream and the housing came off like it was nothing. The wrench took a 15/16 wrench to turn it but it worked perfectly!

-Mike
Old 07-01-2017, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just did my first oil change on my '14 xD and as expected I had the same problem everyone else is. I got a $10 universal Toyota housing wrench at the local parts store. It fit perfectly. However, even with a 12" breaker bar, I couldn't break the housing lose and I'm pretty stout. I took it to a local tire shop and asked them if they would break it lose for me. They did and didn't charge me anything and he had to use a 2' breaker bar.

The guy told me that the dealership doesn't put them on all that tight but they tighten themselves over time with heat and vibration. So, I got a bright idea. I brushed some high temp bearing grease onto the threads of the housing hoping that the next time it will come off with little effort as it should. I also tightened it until it seated and then gave it about 1/8th turn with the wrench. Next time I change the oil I'll let everyone know if the grease trick worked. If it doesn't, then I'm back here to see if anyone has come up with any new tricks. I for one think this is a ridiculous idea and I throw this in with the odd ball tire size issue. Toyota seems to go way out of their way to make sure we return our vehicles to the stealership to get routine service. I for one refuse and will trade the car before I pay someone to do what I've been doing myself for years.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mdhyre
I just did my first oil change on my '14 xD and as expected I had the same problem everyone else is. I got a $10 universal Toyota housing wrench at the local parts store. It fit perfectly. However, even with a 12" breaker bar, I couldn't break the housing lose and I'm pretty stout. I took it to a local tire shop and asked them if they would break it lose for me. They did and didn't charge me anything and he had to use a 2' breaker bar.

The guy told me that the dealership doesn't put them on all that tight but they tighten themselves over time with heat and vibration. So, I got a bright idea. I brushed some high temp bearing grease onto the threads of the housing hoping that the next time it will come off with little effort as it should. I also tightened it until it seated and then gave it about 1/8th turn with the wrench. Next time I change the oil I'll let everyone know if the grease trick worked. If it doesn't, then I'm back here to see if anyone has come up with any new tricks. I for one think this is a ridiculous idea and I throw this in with the odd ball tire size issue. Toyota seems to go way out of their way to make sure we return our vehicles to the stealership to get routine service. I for one refuse and will trade the car before I pay someone to do what I've been doing myself for years.
That's mighty tight. I just snug it up 'till it seats. I've done all my oil changes since my posts here and have *never* had it tighten up on me from heat or vibration. My guess is the local quik-change tightened it up too much. Good luck on the next one!
Old 09-04-2019, 03:31 PM

I bought a used xD and it had a variety of oil change receipts in it. Ran it up on ramps to change oil and can't get the oil filter cap off. I bought a sheet metal cap type wrench and used all the way up to a 1/2" 18 volt Rigid impact on it.
The hole in the wrench is rounding out, but the cap is not turning. Ordered the TOY640 and will jack it up higher next time and I will try it cold with a long breaker bar. Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-05-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimramos
... The hole in the wrench is rounding out, but the cap is not turning.
Good idea to use an impact wrench (but only to remove) the oil filter. Impact wrench removals create less friction than breaker bars. Problems may arise when mechanics INSTALL with impact wrenches and end users REMOVE with breaker bars.

So short story long, go easy with the breaker. It might break more than you want.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM

I don't have much choice at this point. I may have to break it off and try to saw it out with a hack saw blade or my little Hackzall. We have a lot of Prius's in pick a part. I may go buy the aluminum housing from one if I break the plastic. I think the previous owner was getting cheated on oil changes. Might not have changed the filter. Still waiting for the TOY 640.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimramos
I don't have much choice at this point. I may have to break it off and try to saw it out with a hack saw blade or my little Hackzall. We have a lot of Prius's in pick a part. I may go buy the aluminum housing from one if I break the plastic. I think the previous owner was getting cheated on oil changes. Might not have changed the filter. Still waiting for the TOY 640.
I'm not sure the TOY640 is going to help, You need one of these type wrenches:

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=automotive&rh=n%3A15708821&_encoding=UTF8&vehicle=2010-91-6591-20--18-9-5-8917-2529-1-1---8&ref=au_pf_dp_lf_ladp_1_3 https://www.amazon.com/s?i=automotive&rh=n%3A15708821&_encoding=UTF8&vehicle=2010-91-6591-20--18-9-5-8917-2529-1-1---8&ref=au_pf_dp_lf_ladp_1_3

These should all fit the Scion xD OR if you have an O Reilly's close by, they do sell something similar that may work for the XD it's sold as a Toyota Cartridge wrench.

I had a similar problem with my Wife's car, I have a 2010, She bought a 2014 When I went to change her oil, Nothing worked, not even channel locks, I've been changing oil since the late 70's and never had that problem,
I told her to take it to the dealer, which she did, The Mechanic told her to pass along to me to get one of these from Amazon, It's made a world of difference.

On a side note: I changed my oil on my RAV4 last month, keeping in mind I was the last guy to change it, I couldn't get the Filter off for nothing, I broke my wrench like your picture, but actually snapped the wrench housing for the socket wrench, Went to the parts store and bought something similar, that didn't fit,
took it back and the guy sold me a strap wrench made by Penzoil even telling me this was the last wrench I'd ever buy, I broke that too and not the strap like you'd think, I actually twisted the metal, finally ended up doing the old screwdriver trick and by some miracle it came off after struggling for 3 hours.

I wish you luck, But the cap made for the Scion was a huge difference for me.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-06-2019 at 03:29 PM.