Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Intake Manifold update!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 PM
SL Member

Payment for the intakes (when the production pieces are ready) can be by check (which will be verified before shipping) or credit card. We can have a member come by to verify the power gains on my chassis dyno in Las vegas if there is someone close by. I will perform the back-to-back dyno test on their car which they can video or report back to forum members before payemnt and shipping of the intakes. No photos of prototype will be offered since they do not represent the finsihed production piece.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man, you guys rule! now we just need to find someone in las vegas to do this!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
i was just thinking too, with 145whp at 15% drivetrain loss, that means around 165-170hp at the crank, which is more than the tC's 161hp stock. though it may have a bit more torque, the tC also weighs about 300lbs more according to vehix. so in theory, the xD should be moving pretty quick with almost 170hp at the crank.

edit: current dynos are showing 119 stock whp, which if the numbers from scion saying 128hp at the crank are correct, thats only a 7% drivetrain loss... is that even possible? regardless, it still puts us just about where the stock tC sits as far as hp, and we have less weight.
you have to consider that the engine is a little underrated and also that ecu, parts, etc nowdays are more advanced. cars 10 years ago would lose almost 20-30 hp easy at the wheels from the crank (my 92 accord was rated at 120hp and made 93hp on a dyno lol)

But I was definately thinking the same, we could even be a contender against SIs at that point with the weight difference in my opinion
Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and it definitely sounds like these numbers of 145whp are legit if they are willing to let a member come video tape/confirm the dyno. now, who lives in las vegas?

dynatek, a few questions:

1. did you have any problems with a CEL?
2. was the 145whp accomplished without the need of tuning?
3. will the production piece have all the required vacuum fittings?
4. will it come with installation instructions, lol?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have no doubts of the claims been true.

This guy has a name in the industry... he is a writter and does a lot of reaserch...

On the Internet times we are in the last thing some one in his position would want to do is make fake claims that will jeopardize all of his work and credibility. right?

That said.. some video of the car on a dyno will be great!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by dynatek
Payment for the intakes (when the production pieces are ready) can be by check (which will be verified before shipping) or credit card. We can have a member come by to verify the power gains on my chassis dyno in Las vegas if there is someone close by. I will perform the back-to-back dyno test on their car which they can video or report back to forum members before payemnt and shipping of the intakes. No photos of prototype will be offered since they do not represent the finsihed production piece.
Why cant pictures be posted is the prototype different from the production? If it is wouldn't it being different effect the gains?

In my OPINION i wouldn't advise anyone to commit until more info is provided. what about A/F readings? would be good to see those?

Comon guys all we see here is a dyno.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Richard,

What are your toughts about a multi port nitrous set up for our cars? I'm not up to drilling on the oe plastic mani...

But with your Mani I'm thinking about a four 15hp nozzels tapped to the mani... would there be any benefits over a sigle nozzel shot?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its going to take some sort of commitment before dynatek will even produce the manifolds. they are not asking for money up front, so there is no harm in this commitment.

but yes, a picture of at least the prototype would be nice, despite it not representing the final piece. an a/f graph would also be nice since im a little concerned about it running lean.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its going to take some sort of commitment before dynatek will even produce the manifolds. they are not asking for money up front, so there is no harm in this commitment.

but yes, a picture of at least the prototype would be nice, despite it not representing the final piece. an a/f graph would also be nice since im a little concerned about it running lean.
True would be nice even if you wanted to just pm it and ask it not be posted on forums or something i suppose this would be nice to get an idea i ahvenet even looked how big of a pain in the butt it will be to install on these cars either
Old 10-25-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cee_dub2003
Why cant pictures be posted is the prototype different from the production? If it is wouldn't it being different effect the gains?

In my OPINION i wouldn't advise anyone to commit until more info is provided. what about A/F readings? would be good to see those?

Comon guys all we see here is a dyno.
AFR were discussed before. And they remained unaffected by the mani.

As Richard explained the proto will not reflect the final units.

He has also invited anyone interested to go to his facility to review and give faith of the manifold before any one submits any payment.

Richard is also working with the Yaris comunity on a manifold and a turbo kit. Testing and proofs will be submitted before any payments are made...

The way I see it the commitment list on this thread is subject to a final production unit meeting the advertized claims.

I'm commited to buy an inatke manifold that meets the original claims of Dynatek... I'm not paying them for a manifol that doesn't meet the original claims!

They are not asking for money up front!

The commitment is:

If they delivery what they claim they will... we commit to buy it. As simple as that!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More new info from Dynatek!! Richard is asking me to post the graphs as he is having problems uploading pics.

From Richard Holdener:

This is a comparison between the modified Xd motor (145 wheel hp) and a stock 2008 Xb (150 wheel hp). Despite the similar peak power numbers, the larger 2.4L offers significantly more average power production through the rev range until the peak engine speed. The extra 30 lb-ft of torque offered by the Xb would be difficult to offset by the lighter weight of the Xd. I have never raced these two cars side by side, but it looks like the heavier Xb would still hold the advantage in a drag race.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:00 PM
SL Member

I can post the air/fuel curves for the stock and new intake design, but the intake has very litle effect on the air/fuel curve. The reason for this is the use of a mass air meter that samples both volume and temperature (mass). The extra airflow that accompanies the change in resonance wave (manifolds are tuned accoustically not just to improve airflow) is recognized by the meter and the ECU supplies the necessary fuel flow. Actually, any change in the orientation of the MAF will result in a greater change in the air/fuel curve than the intake chnage-we know because we tested a number of different mass air meter configurations. As for the difference between the prototype and production piece, the important design paramters (runner length. taper and cross section along with plenum volume) can all be configured for fitment without changing their values (i.e.-a 20-inch runner can be straight or have a number of smooth radius bends). Please no nonsense about air not wanting to make bends, as the airflow of the runner has much less to do with the power gain than the resonance wave. Each runner in the new intake design actually flows more than enough air to support the power output of the entire motor (near 300 cfm), but it is the length, cross section and taper that determine where the gains occur in the power curve. Of course you can take the advice not to commit to the intakes and we can produce systems only for the Yaris 1.5L. It only takes one uninformed individual to ruin it for everyone else.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:14 PM
SL Member

I thought a dyno graph had been posted to verify the power gains. The intake has been deveeloped and only needs to be configured for fitment as a production piece. I already have an Xd so I don't need a car to produce the production piece. Time frame sould be roughly 30 days after we have 10 serious buyers on list. This may depend on what is happening on Yaris side, but we can do both at the same time. I am asking for no money up front, and the power gains can be verified by independant forum member (as we are doing with yaris manifold). There is no CEL and intake bolts on easily. Taking off stock intake takes longer than bolting on new one. No change in air/fuel ratio and if testing performed on Nissan Versa intake is any indication, same or better fuel mileage as stock.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought a dyno graph had been posted to verify the power gains. The intake has been deveeloped and only needs to be configured for fitment as a production piece. I already have an Xd so I don't need a car to produce the production piece. Time frame sould be roughly 30 days after we have 10 serious buyers on list. This may depend on what is happening on Yaris side, but we can do both at the same time. I am asking for no money up front, and the power gains can be verified by independant forum member (as we are doing with yaris manifold). There is no CEL and intake bolts on easily. Taking off stock intake takes longer than bolting on new one. No change in air/fuel ratio and if testing performed on Nissan Versa intake is any indication, same or better fuel mileage as stock.
Thanks for the reply this should be a good piece i remember changing the upper and lower intake on my 03 tiburon gt god was it a good boost
Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dyno graph is all that should matter at this point. Picture of a funky prototype will help nothing in my decision cause it will look nothing like it.

Please starting reading the thread first guys
Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good info! even with 30lbs more tq than the xD, it still weighs about 400lbs more... i still think the xD would take the xB. either way, im still commited!

btw, edmunds.com lists the stock 0-60mph for the xB at 8.6sec (AT), stock xD 8.4sec (MT)... with the dynatek intake mani, the xD should still take a stock xB even if its a manual.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Boo if I had the money I would put myself on the list but I would prefer seat covers over the mani lol.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good info! even with 30lbs more tq than the xD, it still weighs about 400lbs more... i still think the xD would take the xB. either way, im still commited!

btw, edmunds.com lists the stock 0-60mph for the xB at 8.6sec (AT), stock xD 8.4sec (MT)... with the dynatek intake mani, the xD should still take a stock xB even if its a manual.
Lets race then son! lol
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, this is no xD manifold but for ilustration only:

This is Richard's intake manifold for the Nissan Versa. Enjoy!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is MEAN looking! richard, are we going to have any powder coating options? or are they coming just polished? either way is fine with me. just curious. hopefully the xDs is going to look as sweet, lol.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold update!!!