Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Pie
5 Year Member

That's insane that the oil can last that long.

But I wonder can the filter cartridge last that long?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pie

Not sure on the filter cartridge.
So far the longest I have run on the same filter is 10,000 miles. The oil the sample was taken from at 17,000 miles got the filter changed at 10,000, then I topped off the oil because of what I lost while changing the filter. That may have helped me be able to run it longer too, but I don't know for sure.

Also, just so everyone knows. My driving for the last few years has consisted of approximately 500 miles of highway cruising, and <50 miles of city driving per week. This could really be helping me extend oil life because the engine doesn't idle frequently, and stop and go traffic is a rare thing for me.

Last edited by libima; 04-17-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added info about driving style
Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pie

It only seems insane because they are still promoting the 3,000 mile oil change in this country. 5,000 miles seems like a long time to some people... but it is common to see 20,000 or 30,000 mile oil changes on European cars. Many of them monitor your driving style and some even detect the pH of the oil (like my Mercedes van) and tell you when to change the oil.

I am used to diesel cars, which have much larger oil filters due to all the soot in the oil... gasoline engines don't need very big filters, and they seem to do alright with longer intervals. I like how libima does it -- change the filter at 10k miles or to and top up the oil. Not only does this give you a fresh filter, but it also brings in some fresh oil additives.

Remember, you should only do this with a good quality synthetic oil. In Europe, their oil requirements are more strict than ours... most of the "synthetic" oil sold in the US cannot even be called synthetic in Europe. Most of our "synthetic" oil is still made from crude oil. We do have some true synthetic (class IV and class V oils), but they are normally not found in auto parts stores. These would be brands like RedLine and Amsoil.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 AM

In regards to the 2010 Scion xD oil change being bumped to 10k miles with full synthetic, can the same be assumed with the 2008? Is there a difference in the engine that allows this, or is it strictly with the 0w-20 oil that allows for the longer cycle?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 PM

I talked to the service department at my local dealer and they said they would honor the warranty on my '08 xD if I went to a 10k mile OCI as long used the 0w-20. I also attempted to buy the oil filter wrench from them, but they wanted $58!!!! I'll be ordering the one from Amazon after failed attempts with 2 different tools from the parts store.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Where is everyone getting their washers for the drain plug?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Where is everyone getting their washers for the drain plug?
You should be able to get them from the dealership. TRDsparks also has them.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Anyone using the purolator cartridge filter instead of the oem yet besides me? Seems like a very well made unit.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Garage1217
Anyone using the purolator cartridge filter instead of the oem yet besides me? Seems like a very well made unit.
I haven't used the Purolator filter yet. I've been using the Wix/Napa Gold. It looks like its very well made also, and the napa near my house sells them for $3.50 each so I can't beat the price with any other filter.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:22 PM

The information in this thread is great! I finally gave up though after 3 different filter cap removal tools and 4 hours of banging my knuckles one day so i took it to a local oil change place. The guy there got it off in 10 minutes lmao! He used oil filter pliers instead of a filter cap removal tool. So i took his advice and went to o'rielly's and bought me a pair of oil filter pliers for the next time i gotta change the oil. Thanks for all the great info people.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theonlychad
The information in this thread is great! I finally gave up though after 3 different filter cap removal tools and 4 hours of banging my knuckles one day so i took it to a local oil change place. The guy there got it off in 10 minutes lmao! He used oil filter pliers instead of a filter cap removal tool. So i took his advice and went to o'rielly's and bought me a pair of oil filter pliers for the next time i gotta change the oil. Thanks for all the great info people.
A cap removal tool work perfectly... If you have the right size. The in-between sizes don't work. Pliers work, but can scuff up the plastic.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use this Fumoto on my xd, quick, easy and way less messy-
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone is still interested, here is my latest sample report.
this one is 10,000 miles on the oil and filter, 87,000 miles on the xD.
I left the oil in and am going for at least 17,000 on the oil again.

Last edited by libima; 04-01-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: pic update
Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member

Question Resetting check engine light

Originally Posted by Stupidhaole
1. Trip A instead of ODO selected on the multi function display
2. Turn key to OFF position
3. Hold down button while turning it to ON position.
4. Trip A will go to zero and back to actual mileage after 5 seconds.
I've tried this several times on this oil change and the previous one and it doesn't work on my Scion xD. I do notice the numbers in the trip A odometer changing to dashes and counting down to the right (from ----- to -) and then the display returning to normal, but the check engine light remains on. The car has 33K miles on it and has no problems I know of.

Last time, I took it to the Toyota dealership and gave them my filter and oil and when they gave the car back to me, the check engine light was off. There was no note to me that anything was wrong with the car.

Am I missing something?

There is a "(...) SET" button under the dash, right about where your left knee is.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you need an oil change your maint req light will show up. You would reset it with the method you described.

The check engine light is different. Sounds like you have an issue going on. May want to take it somewhere to read the code.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry about that! I didn't realize that the "MAINT REQ" light had indeed turned off but was replaced by the check engine light because the engine wasn't running. I believe both lights are yellow and I didn't notice the change. Once I started the car, the check engine light went off - I don't know why they program it to turn on when the key is in the ignition but the engine is off. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dale,
You hold the 'Mode' button on the dash while the ODO is set on Trip 'A' - Turn key on and it goes to dashes and back to numbers as you stated.

The 'Set' Button by your knee is for Tire Pressure.

~ TJB
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member

hey guys! i have a question, im about to do my oil change tomorrow for the first time, i just bought a Castrol Syntec (Full Synthetic) SAE 5W-20 my XD is a 2008 with 19,xxx miles on it. is this the safest oil i should be using? the guy at Walmart (where i bought my equipments) was very helpful but i just want to make sure im heading on the right track.

(also i change my oil about 2,500 - 3,000 miles)

is it for reals that once a car hits a specific mileage i will need to change the TYPE of oil to use? ie: SAE 5W-3-, SAE 5W-30 ect... for instance the guy said that "since my car is going to be in the 20,000 miles i should use SAE 5W-2.

is there a suggested oil (BRAND/TYPE) to be use on specific models of scion "by" scion?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lllphoto_le3
hey guys! i have a question, im about to do my oil change tomorrow for the first time, i just bought a Castrol Syntec (Full Synthetic) SAE 5W-20 my XD is a 2008 with 19,xxx miles on it. is this the safest oil i should be using? the guy at Walmart (where i bought my equipments) was very helpful but i just want to make sure im heading on the right track.

(also i change my oil about 2,500 - 3,000 miles)

is it for reals that once a car hits a specific mileage i will need to change the TYPE of oil to use? ie: SAE 5W-3-, SAE 5W-30 ect... for instance the guy said that "since my car is going to be in the 20,000 miles i should use SAE 5W-2.

is there a suggested oil (BRAND/TYPE) to be use on specific models of scion "by" scion?

thanks in advance!
No their is no Scion oil and Toyota oil is just rebranded oil from a different company. Run 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil in vehicle and that is it for the life of the vehicle. Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, Peinzoil (sp) Ultra, really good name brand oil will be fine to use in out 1.8's.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
No their is no Scion oil and Toyota oil is just rebranded oil from a different company. Run 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil in vehicle and that is it for the life of the vehicle. Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, Peinzoil (sp) Ultra, really good name brand oil will be fine to use in out 1.8's.
Yeah, I just got my 5k complimentary maintenance done yesterday for my 2010 xD and clashed a bit with the dealer. First they tried to convince me that the 5k didn't include an oil change, then I showed the warranty/maintenance book that said it did. Then they tried to tell me the warranty only covered traditional and the car can take both, which I countered with the owners manual saying SAE 0w-20 is the recommended oil and only synthetic. In the end the dealership covered the difference.

I was at a store recently to see how much the oil costs and was only able to find 5w-20. The owners manual says you can use that, but next time switch to 0w-20.

Quick Reply: xD oil change