Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Strut Brace Install (Rear, Ingalls)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NCBIGGJ
Rob.. how thick is the metal that is used? I am just curious cause you can tell the end is a stamped process where the rear bolts go through.
Dont get me wrong Im not saying this is nt a good peice to buy. Im just saying that it looks inexpensive. I should not have used Cheap. I do understand that alot of people are going to be using this in there car and under factory peices. So the "bling" factor does not need to be there. Once again I am not saying it does not work at all. Im glad to see someone going the extra mile to make these parts.
the majority of the construction of the bar is tig welded with stamp ends..

In relation to how thick the bar is I am not sure..in relation to strength I am trying to get a photo of 4 of my co workers(+600lbs) to stand on the four corners of the bar to show the stregth of the bar to show that it does not bend..Basically it is more of a "function over form" piece with making sure that it performs more than looks considering most people will have it under the carpeting etc...Ingalls had over 7 different actual designs in relation to developing this and we are very satisfied with the performance but compromiseed on the "bling"..

Now wait for the 3 point front upper strut brace we have in development..both function and bling..built in damper bracketery..multi colors..multi dampening force..
Old 06-07-2006, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good. Ive got your rear brace on order and will definitely give it a good workout. Be interesting to see how the front bar does when it comes out.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are gonna love this bar. i fall more and more in love with it when I hit all kinds of turns. My car is way stable now
!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by robstamina
Now wait for the 3 point front upper strut brace we have in development..both function and bling..built in damper bracketery..multi colors..multi dampening force..
woohoo!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asthmatic
you are gonna love this bar. i fall more and more in love with it when I hit all kinds of turns. My car is way stable now
!!!!
Glad you like it..

I too was really impressed with how this product improved the tc's handeling..like I said on the other thread.."the difference is night and day"
Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asthmatic
Originally Posted by robstamina
woohoo!!!
be patient though..

this front bar we are developing is CRAZY!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

the more i look at this bar the more i want it lol. im thinkin once i get the money, im gonna pick this and the stiffy up.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
the more i look at this bar the more i want it lol. im thinkin once i get the money, im gonna pick this and the stiffy up.
When you do check us out. We have an unbeatable deal on the combo package with free shipping. ;)

Tai
CorSport
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

will do! i just checked your website thats a pretty good price for the 2. thanks.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
will do! i just checked your website thats a pretty good price for the 2. thanks.
np, thank you.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A quick note on the go;

Install was fun last night for the brace - it also eliminated the little clunky noise of my sunroof at low speeds I really have to nail a bump sideways to get it now - no random rattle for me. ;) I can't wait to put it to work at this weekends AutoX

If anyone wants any details or photos of my install let me know I'd be glad to help I'll post about my experience later tonight when I get a minute the IT world is givin' me hell today! ;)

I grabbed some steel braided brake lines (and a clutch line since I was already at it) as well which I have never put on any of my vehicles before and when bleeding the brakes I could feel a pressure difference however response on braking while driving is quicker I'm not having to lay into the pedal as hard a small tap goes a long ways if you really are picky about your cars performance you will feel it for sure! The clutch line provides a really smooth clutch feel and the friction point comes a bit quicker - I'll see any differences this weekend I'm sure.

I love a tight feeling car though and the stiffy/shock brace and braided lines have tighened the car up alot.

I am absolutley happy with the product!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by coppermine18
A quick note on the go;

Install was fun last night for the brace - it also eliminated the little clunky noise of my sunroof at low speeds I really have to nail a bump sideways to get it now - no random rattle for me. ;) I can't wait to put it to work at this weekends AutoX

If anyone wants any details or photos of my install let me know I'd be glad to help I'll post about my experience later tonight when I get a minute the IT world is givin' me hell today! ;)

I grabbed some steel braided brake lines (and a clutch line since I was already at it) as well which I have never put on any of my vehicles before and when bleeding the brakes I could feel a pressure difference however response on braking while driving is quicker I'm not having to lay into the pedal as hard a small tap goes a long ways if you really are picky about your cars performance you will feel it for sure! The clutch line provides a really smooth clutch feel and the friction point comes a bit quicker - I'll see any differences this weekend I'm sure.

I love a tight feeling car though and the stiffy/shock brace and braided lines have tighened the car up alot.

I am absolutley happy with the product!
Excellent feedback on the lines and brace.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CorSport
What I said before you can scroll up and read ;)
Well - when you start trying to throw a lil over 2900 lbs around cones... or want to really control the weight. It counts. A car that is going to go out and kick some ___ (like mine ) it takes more than just making the car go fast... You have to MANHANDLE it. I want my car to stop when I say stop - go when I say go - carve like a ski with the tires grabbing the pavement.

I enjoy watching a car a fly down a 1/4 mile but when I started racin' autox my car was pretty dang awesome on on oval weaving at higher speeds. Then they went and put me in a parking lot and tightened things up - well that's where the differences came out. Car felt like slop!

Miata's and MR2s and mini coopers were out there stomping on people.

I learning from some nationals drivers and some awesome people here what it takes. You have to go for the 'overall' performance.

I garuntee I've spent less than a turbo kit (which I'd like after I have the car under my complete control) and my car is handling amazingly - I want to be out there making a statement for Scion on the track my car gets looks up and down all day long from people everywhere I travel to race to and I'm proud to show it and the parts.

It's been called a

"sky-on" and a "tc-3" and a "what the hell is that" and "that guy in the white and black car I need to try to beat" - personally I like the last one ;)

Now that my car is doing well I am looking torwards race tires/wheels forced induction - LSD and possibly some coilovers...

I've got some more goodies already on the way though.

Talking to Rob over at Ingalls they are pretty bent on not just providing a part or two they are putting out the parts that make a difference and putting them together just adds to the beauty of what they do for me. I wanna win.

OK - I think that can of rockstar got me going.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CorSport
What I said before you can scroll up and read ;)

Talking to Rob over at Ingalls they are pretty bent on not just providing a part or two they are putting out the parts that make a difference and putting them together just adds to the beauty of what they do for me. I wanna win.

OK - I think that can of rockstar got me going.
As cheesy as it sounds.. we develop parts that we use on our own cars!!!

Tell us what you think when you get done this weekend..

Those brake and clutchline def. do the trick...

and lay off the rockstar..lol
Old 06-07-2006, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have a review going in S3 and Sport Compact for this part...

FLINT where are you??

Calling Flint
Old 06-08-2006, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is this one worth it compared to the regular rear bars?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by melvynray
3 ft of tubular bracketed aluminum...

or

8' of solid steel with an extra 2 mounting points...hmmm

It basically reacts double from the 3 other bars we tested it against...
Old 06-08-2006, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once I put my hand on it I could just tell it was a whole different ball game than other braces I've had in my hands. Once I put it in my car - it tamed my frame. You will love it.

The tC creeks and rattles when you drive hard or get on uneven surface. This pretty much takes care of that. At work we have a entry way that rolls up and back down I used to drive slow over it cause I could hear the sunroof knock around a little and it was very easy.

Today I drove over it no noise - so I was like hmmm

Guess what I did? Thats right. I went ahead and just slammed through it till it made the rattle. Gotta test it right ;)

Just eliminating those rattles was worth my time on this
Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok since I have a few more minutes I just wanted to drop a few photos and notes here about my experience with the install of my parts:

This is what I picked up and installed from Ingalls:

Rear Shock Brace
Steel Braided Clutch Line
Steel Braided Brake Lines

Ok. First my car - and later you will see I took of my cf hood for awhile

Picture 2 - Steel braided brake line goodness - copper washers - new banjo bolt great quality. Brakes are important to me in a big way.

Installation was a breeze I - just remember to wipe off the surfaces around the bolts on the ends of the lines you do not want to get particles from the old lines into the brakes... Its simple to use caution and take the extra minute and save yourself from locking up a caliper someday.

Picture 3 - perfect fittament went in with ease.

Remember to reference you OEM brake lines position and mimick it with the new lines. ( I didn't pay attention and replaced a caliper back with the line twisted not paying attention once when I did my first brake job ever - twisting or rubbing lines can = BAD. Attatch the end opposite of the banjo (round end) first but do not tighten it until you attatch the caliper end that way it is easy to manipulate the cable into the proper position without twists. I also noticed the clip you have to remove on the side opposite the caliper removing the OEM is a little annoying to take out. I used pliers and pulled a lil on the sides until it was out enough I could get a good grip on it.

The rears were a BREEZE after the fronts.

The car sittin there (without my CF hood ... ) I made sure that I had the Fluid nearby ready to fill. When bleeding the brakes or the clutch line. You do not want to let it get too low it will syphon air unless you feel like bleeding it all over again. When you start pumping the brakes you will notice how much more pressure your brakes have when the pedal tightens up fast!

(I had to make a fairly quick stop today behind a girl in a civic that couldn't get out of her own way and when I layed into the pedal I don't think my foot went down much at all - that pedal was tight and the brakes were wayyy ahead of me. The response was awesome.

This is just some painted interior stuff ;) ... intermission dun dun dunnn

The SHOCK BRACE - its just so ... BIG and STRONG. Well - a little suffice for a big benefit I say. As you saw you can cut the cubby's to fit. Don't cry.

When you lay down the brace you will notice - as stated in the DIY you need to drill out some holes a little larger to fit the bolts provided.

That metal is TOUGH to get through - trust me I had to use a battery powered drill where I was (I recommend a corded one).

To judge the size it was easiest for me to lay the bolt up to a bit and find one slightly larger in diameter. I Quickly punched the top hole bigger quick then jumped under the car and ended up using a slightly smaller bit it to even the metal in the hole my corless was catching up on an inner layer that protrudes a bit. After I got the hole smooth I then used the proper bit to drill the hole out to the proper size I kept a bolt close to check it with.

USE EYE protection and long sleeves as well or the little metal bits might burn a bit when they hit your arm *not that I would know abou that COUGH*

Otherwise the install is VERY fast and simple.

Lastly the installed brace - I hadn't finished the brake lines yet so I didn't get to drive it for a little bit after I got it in. I hate waiting!!! Who doesnt?

Overall - I've picked up and put in the cables - brace and damper and I LOVE how much my car feels more in my hands. I own it... I want it to listen to me.

Anyways if anyone has any Q's lemme know - it was a fun experience.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

this brace makes all other rear strut bars look worthless, honestly
i had Greddy rear strut bar and MMW rear strut bar on the car, with this brace on
it feels like the strut bars were never really there, honestly

i was skeptical at first about this, ask Rob.
but im set now, would rec. this to anyone who is road racing,auto-x, or just wants
a stiffer rear end

great,great product

Quick Reply: Strut Brace Install (Rear, Ingalls)