Notices
xD Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xD

Short Shifter Install (NST)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by PHATBLK
You would have smoother shifts with a less "vague" neutral position if NST had included the cable realignment plate which TRD includes in their kit. I did it both ways and the TRD part is clearly smoother.

Originally Posted by MrKlaw
Installed the NST SSK on my 1 week old red xD this morning and it makes a huge difference. This is IMO the first thing everyone should do with a new xD. Makes it a lot more fun to drive.
Wow, I guess maybe I should have come on here and read what you posted four or five posts ago. Of course I did, and I also saw the other 6 pages of people saying they they have no problems with the NST piece and it works great (just like mine does). Maybe you just need to let it go?
Old 10-05-2008, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

amen to that, lol. ive got no problems finding neutral, or do i find it vague. shifts are very smooth and firm, feels great. maybe this guy works for TRD, thats all hes got installed on his car... dunno, but hes definitely got beef with NST, which needs to be taken elsewhere.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just for the record, NST has no beef with PHATBLK. As far as I know, him and I have never spoken or met. I understand that he likes the TRD piece, and he has a right to his opinion as much as the rest of you.

That having been said... please continue to rock NST and keep providing the excellent feedback and reviews everyone. We certainly do appreciate it. And it is the positive comments and support that will ultimately determine what, if any, other products are offered for your application.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Banned
SL Member

Buddy, I am completely unaffected by your choices. For folks who are doing their homework, I am simply pointing out that there is a difference between the NST kit and the TRD kit. I have experienced first hand that there is a significant difference between using the re-alignment kit (included in the TRD kit) and the plate-less offering.

You can go the economy route - that is your decision. I really don't care if you are loyal to NST or not. I am simply reporting the facts.

I suspect you would agree if you tested the two products head to head. YES, the TRD install is more difficult and I reluctantly performed it; now I understand why the realignment plate was included.

Have you heard NST comment that "it gets better with time"? They are referring to cable / housing wear.

It's your money. As I said before, I am completely unaffected by someone else's decisions!

Originally Posted by PHATBLK
You would have smoother shifts with a less "vague" neutral position if NST had included the cable realignment plate which TRD includes in their kit. I did it both ways and the TRD part is clearly smoother.

Installed the NST SSK on my 1 week old red xD this morning and it makes a huge difference. This is IMO the first thing everyone should do with a new xD. Makes it a lot more fun to drive.
Wow, I guess maybe I should have come on here and read what you posted four or five posts ago. Of course I did, and I also saw the other 6 pages of people saying they they have no problems with the NST piece and it works great (just like mine does). Maybe you just need to let it go?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and we are completely unaffected by your choices, so let it go.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our new SSK-2 and Bushings Kits are all in stock and ready for immediate delivery again.
You can check them out here...

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNST.htm

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNSTbushings.htm

Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got mine in with the bushings also. I had to sand down the edge on my SSK because my shift linkage had a manufacturer defect from Toyota All in all, works awesome, feels like a race car :D Clutch and shifter feel solid. Can't wait til i get stage II and the cage bushings
Old 10-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else? SSK and SSK-2 are in stock and ready for immediate shipping and reviews!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed my SSK following the instructions provided. Very simple install. My only recommendation is to shift into reverse to extend the shift arm out from under the battery as far as possible. GREAT POST! Thanks for the help!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the kind words B1GP1MP1N !!!
Good luck and have fun with all your projects
Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else?

Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pix's of the ssk-2?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yang
pix's of the ssk-2?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0

Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i got mine today... had to get the cutting wheel out to shave part of the side because it was hitting the shifter linkage.. after that it dropped right in. a 5 min install took me 15 mins, no biggy but glad it wasn't a huge debacle for install
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ragingbull78
i got mine today... had to get the cutting wheel out to shave part of the side because it was hitting the shifter linkage.. after that it dropped right in. a 5 min install took me 15 mins, no biggy but glad it wasn't a huge debacle for install

It seems like some of the factory linkage looks different in the newer models, which leads to this issue.

I'm glad to hear that you got yours in, and we will look to resolve this issue with our next batch.

Anyone else?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 AM

Why don't you guys include the additional parts that the toyota unit has?

Originally Posted by NonStopTuning
Originally Posted by Ragingbull78

It seems like some of the factory linkage looks different in the newer models, which leads to this issue.

I'm glad to hear that you got yours in, and we will look to resolve this issue with our next batch.

Anyone else?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I added this as a Tech article. Nice write up. May be considering this for my g/f's new xD when we get it.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This SSK is now in stock and ready for immediate shipping via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

So i already have the TRD quickshifter, what else could i add to the shifter to make it feel more sporty without replacing any parts of the TRD quickshift?

[sorry for the noob question]
Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get the NST bushings for sure!

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Install (NST)