Notices
xD Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xD

Short Shifter Install (NST)

Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 AM
SL Member

glad they are finally coming out..... wish I still had a manual.... Awesome products as always Mike!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for your continued help and support Joe, it is always much appreciated my friend.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NST, are you by any chance gonna sell an aftermarket shift boot too? I hate the OEM bellows, they collect crap! Anyone else know of any aftermarket boots?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SeattleGuy
NST, are you by any chance gonna sell an aftermarket shift boot too? I hate the OEM bellows, they collect crap! Anyone else know of any aftermarket boots?
Thank you for the interest and support SeattleGuy, I appreciate it.

We have no plans to sell boots at this time, I would suggest trying www.Garage1217.com or www.MicroImageOnline.com to see if they can point you in the right direction.

Thanks again, good luck and have fun with all your projects!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Damn!

I bought the TRD ssk and have found the gate throw almost too small - why would folks want to shrink it further?!

Also - NST doesn't offer the cable realignment plate necessary to reduce cable wear from the repositioning on the linkage ends.

I'll take the product engineered for the xD.

Originally Posted by NonStopTuning
Originally Posted by tmrepp
Wow, I installed the engine bay SSK for now, the in-cabin SSK should be here Monday or Tuesday. What a difference. I'd say it's reduced by around 50% alone with the SSK, who knows how short it's going to get with the in-cabin SSK. I'm excited. Install, fit and finish were all extremely great. The car should come like this off the lot. No tractor shifter ftw!

Thanks for the review buddy! Good luck and have fun with all your future projects.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Damn!

Originally Posted by PHATBLK
Also - NST doesn't offer the cable realignment plate necessary to reduce cable wear from the repositioning on the linkage ends.
That is actually something I noticed when installing it. The angles at which everything went back together were a little bit too much for me to be completely comfortable with, maybe in the future someone will sell these plates separately. Hint hint...
Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They're here!!! NEW NST Bushing Kits!!!

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pShiftNSTbushings.htm

OEM rubber bushings found in many sport compacts today are intended to isolate the shifter from engine vibration. While they accomplish this, they also make the shifting action vague and rubbery. These shifter bushings are often soft, spongy rubber units that over time become worn, leading to shifter movement and miss-shifts.

NonStopTuning Shifter Bushings eliminate this numbness by replacing factory rubber bushings with carefully crafted stainless steel components. Precision engineered to remove all flexing common to rubber bushings, giving the driver full control over the shifter and transmission.

NST bushings are compatible with OEM shifters as well as aftermarket shifter kits.

SPECS AND BENEFITS:
Manual Transmission Shifter Bushing Kit
Firm Feel, More Precise Shifting,
Custom Appearance
Made in USA

NSTSBK08 is our new Shifter Cable Kit for the xD. These two bushings attach in the engine bay, where your cables meet the transmission. These bushings are often called the best bang for buck modification for any manual transmission car.

NSTSCB08 is our new Shifter Cage Kit for the xD. These four bushings install in the cabin and replace the rubber bushings at the bottom of the shifter cage. These bushings assist in keeping the cage in place, leading to a more direct feel from the shifter assembly.

To all of our AWESOME customers... this is what happens when you support NST, each of you can feel proud to have contributed in getting more great products built for your cars, by supporting our products and our brand!

Thank you for the continued help and support everyone, we certainly do appreciate it!

:burnrubber:
Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by IllNist
You are very welcome... couldnt resist posting up the most easy DIY install I ever did.
This is a VERY easy install because you didn't install the parts NST failed to include!

I did the same NST install with my TRD kit but was left with extra parts and instructions.

After asking some questions I received the same responses - "if Toyota engineered it, you better install it".

It took an extra hour, but I feel better that I paid for and installed the additional parts contained in the TRD kit.

NST may be a simple fix, but I don't get the impression that they are a real R&D company. They seem to be more smiles and sales - not so much substance.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I disagree, I have had to re-engineer more junk from TRD that I would ever want to do for any company. NST makes great stuff & a lot more that just smiles and sales. I know first hand after attending meets with NST, working with them to develope some key parts and so forth. Great overall company.

Last, NST did not "fail" to include the parts, they chose not to offer those parts. In my own XD, the tension on the cable was so light that I have no idea why TRD included the cable re-locater. No point really other than to take stress off the cable when you install it and have to lift it up and over the new pin. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned
SL Member

Sorry, but the before and after was noticeable. I drove without the alignment plate for two weeks before I decided that it was a good idea to do the install as Toyota intended. The difference is clear. Toyotas last forever because they are well built. You aren't going to convince me there isn't a reason or advantage to installing the full kit.

Bottom line, if you are on a budget - it's your car. The NST part certainly isn't going to ruin your car. I just prefer to do things the proper way.

Originally Posted by Garage1217
I disagree, I have had to re-engineer more junk from TRD that I would ever want to do for any company. NST makes great stuff & a lot more that just smiles and sales. I know first hand after attending meets with NST, working with them to develope some key parts and so forth. Great overall company.

Last, NST did not "fail" to include the parts, they chose not to offer those parts. In my own XD, the tension on the cable was so light that I have no idea why TRD included the cable re-locater. No point really other than to take stress off the cable when you install it and have to lift it up and over the new pin. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Interesting, I will build my own alignment plate and see what the difference is Hard to imagine with such little tension that I could feel it but time will tell.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 AM
SL Member

Any update on the August 20 restock date posted on the website for the xD in-cabin SSK? Are they available again yet? I put my order in for one on the 18th, wondering how long of a wait it will be yet... Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cylon_xD
Any update on the August 20 restock date posted on the website for the xD in-cabin SSK? Are they available again yet? I put my order in for one on the 18th, wondering how long of a wait it will be yet... Thanks!
September 10, 2008. All pre-orders will ship via USPS Priority Mail and Confirmation Numbers will be Emailed to customers ASAP.

Thank you for the continued help and support, we certainly do appreciate it!

Old 08-29-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NonStopTuning
Originally Posted by Cylon_xD
September 10, 2008. All pre-orders will ship via USPS Priority Mail and Confirmation Numbers will be Emailed to customers ASAP.

Thank you for the continued help and support, we certainly do appreciate it!

Any comment on the plates?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for the threadjack but is there gonna b a DIY for the 2 bushing kits installation on the xD?

i'm kinda clueless right now and don't want to mess anything up...
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are these alignment plates dealing with the in-cabin kit or the engine bay kit? just ordered the engine bay kit and 2 bushing kit today! cant wait.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Engine bay kit..and I am mildly curious.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got bushings from Garage! U tha man Jeremy! NST FTW! lol although i don't have the ssk and the bushing installed yet...i guess i'm gonna wait for a DIY on the bushings first...

anyone? any help? bushings?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill write a lil' something when i get mine in a few days from now if no one else has. i have yet to really look and see what you all are talking about with the alignment plates, but im sure ill find out soon enough.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was gonna just install the ssk for now...

i looked around and found one of the cable where one of the bushings go...its like directly under the intake tube...where does the other one go? i'm guessing where the ssk goes... but i want to make sure b4 i do it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Short Shifter Install (NST)