Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cooling Oil and Tranny Fluid Idea. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cooling Oil and Tranny Fluid Idea. Thoughts?

Before I start...do the 5 speed guys have the taps for the auto tranny cooler on their radiator? Just curious because if you do, it might make a good oil cooler as well for turbo apps. I'm not sure.

I was thinking of adding a better tranny cooler and an oil cooler. But at the same time, there is a built in tranny cooler in the stock radiator. I'm wondering, if I install an external tranny cooler (they are alot cheaper than oil coolers) and run an engine oil line to the stock tranny cooler if it would help much for the engine oil. Even 30 degrees would be great. Pressure would be the major issue that I can think of.

If I did this, would it be a good idea to tap the line going to the turbo and cool the oil before or after the turbo?

Or, I have 2 remaining taps on the oil filter block taps for the oil gauges. Just route one tap out to the cooler and route back into the 2nd tap.

I think it would be best to cool after the turbo and dump back in at the top sender position on the head.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Can you show me some pics of the taps ur talking about I can go check

and yea im thinking after cuz I dont think you wanna do before and then drop pressure on it and not know and then boom... But also u wanna make sure its flowing out just as much as dumping in or seals can go.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the tranny cooler line -10 or larger? If it isn't it's a BAD idea to route post-turbo oil through it. You'd be way better off to use the taps on your filter block if the line is the size I think it is.

Turbos turn the oil into a chocolate mousse consistency. They are very hard on oil. Anyone racing a turbo car with the engine and turbo using the same oiling system will tell you to run 50wt for this reason. You really need the discharge line to be large and very freeflowing. If you don't you will have lots of turbo seal problems.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
Is the tranny cooler line -10 or larger? If it isn't it's a BAD idea to route post-turbo oil through it. You'd be way better off to use the taps on your filter block if the line is the size I think it is.

Turbos turn the oil into a chocolate mousse consistency. They are very hard on oil. Anyone racing a turbo car with the engine and turbo using the same oiling system will tell you to run 50wt for this reason. You really need the discharge line to be large and very freeflowing. If you don't you will have lots of turbo seal problems.
I see, that makes sense in dealing with the turbo. I would have to take a close look to see the stock size of the tranny cooler line. I think I'll probably just use the taps and cool whatever that will provide.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

show me some pics of the taps ur talking about.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by -Keith-
show me some pics of the taps ur talking about.
I don't have any pics...I can get some tonight. But, on the passenger side of the radiator edge, there is 2 taps facing the engine which the auto tranny lines go into. I figure the manual guys would get the same radiator but have caps or something over the inlet taps.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ill have to look thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, the manual has a different radiator. It would be really nice to have an oil/water cooler, but it isn't this easy for manual owners.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
No, the manual has a different radiator. It would be really nice to have an oil/water cooler, but it isn't this easy for manual owners.
Yup, that would have been way to easy.