Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Whats the potential of the 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well... it's not anything like swapping heads on a honda... since you're putting an identical 2AZ head back on, just after you've ported it.

It's comparable to taking off the head you have now, porting it, and sticking it back on.... just without the down time.

But to answer your question... yes. Any 2AZ head should work, even ones from the 2.2L version. The .2 litre difference comes from the bottom end, perhaps different rods or pistons.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
But to answer your question... yes. Any 2AZ head should work, even ones from the 2.2L version. The .2 litre difference comes from the bottom end, perhaps different rods or pistons.
Just a quick question...Is the size of the CC on the 2.2L version of the 2AZ head the same as its larger (2.4L im guessing?) head?If it is smaller would the smaller CC size give a higher static compression ratio? Just curious. thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 07:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually it could be either more or less compression. Honda guys have this same dilemma because of different pistons/heads from different years have slightly different dimensions. My real question is that I think there never was a 2.2l 2az... Actually there was a 2.0l 1az and a 2.4l 2az (looked it up on this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines). If there really was one then now we could possible de-stroke our engines, have different pistons to possible use, or even the head could possibly have a smaller or bigger combustion chamber (which would change the compression ratio).

I also found this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine) it shows some differences of the AZ family of engines. I am interested in the pistons of the 2az-fxe engine... for the NA guys 12.5:1 compression is even higher then what ZPI is offering right now. Maybe someone should try and obtain these pistons from a junk hybrid. It would be really interesting to see if the benefits if this could be done.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member

Now thats what im talkin about OuterHeaven!!! Just like Honda's Engineers (LOL not to bring up the honda again), they placed several performance parts thruout many B-series engines as well as many year models. "Frankenstein" engines! Any kind of gain from just "swapping" parts is great in my book!!