Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

s/c tC and Cobalt SS underrated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Takes a stupid/ignorant person to know one!

if you dont like my posts, too bad.

pretty pathetic you had to go into archives just to try to "rip" on me

Old 12-05-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

A cobalt from around my area. LMAO! That poo is OOOGLY

Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
I don't know about it replacing it but the Cobalt SS has offered a 2.4L N/A engine and a 2.2L S/C'd engine from the start.
Cobalt SS didn't get the 2.4 until '06. For '05 it was either the 2.2 N/A for the base models and the 2.0 S/C for the SS coupe. When the SS sedan came out, it was to get the 2.4 N/A. I haven't kept up on this lately, but last I heard it was to remain the 2.0 S/C for the SS coupe and the 2.4 N/A for the SS sedan. There are always rumors about the S/C going away and/or being replaced by a T/C version. Who knows, and who cares. The Cobalt is soooo much better than the Cavalier ever thought about being. Yes it has it's downfalls....what car doesn't?

As for the original question? Heck what was it? Oh yeah, the stock numbers. I have friends that have Cobalt SS, and I don't think they had quite those numbers but they were over the factory rating.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see alot of UNEDUCATED gussing here...

Fact number #1

Alot of the Cobalt owners aren't hardcore enough, yet, just like MOST OF THE PEOPLE here.

Many of them run high 13's with hardly anything but a good driver behind the wheel, just like the SRT-4 which if you can't drive, the car will never run faster than mid 14's. If you can, you can get mid 13' stock, low 13s with Stage 1 and mid 12's with Stage 2 ECU and Toys installed (Dial A Boost, Water Sparyers for the Intercooler) and Stage3R cars are running 11's now.

The Cobalt is NOT A POS Cavi with new sheet metal. Its an all new car based on the delta platform orignally used in the european market Opel Vectra.

It is completely 180 of the old car. If you drove them back to back (WHICH I HAVE) you can tell the minute you close the door. Keep your closed minded remarks about American cars too yourself unless you can make a supported and educated statement.

The Cobalt has been getting favorable reviews and is selling pretty well.

That all said, the car already has sizeable aftermarket support. I wouldn't worry about the SS so much but all the $15,000 LS Coupes people are buying, Garrett and Hahn will have turbosystems available for the car in very short order. A Hahn boosted Sunfire has gone 11.71 already with 2.0L Ecotec engine...

tC owners have no room to talk about other cars yet when they can barely get out of their own way.

Also the Cobalt SS sedan has the 170hp 2.4L engine and its not supercharged.

BTW - GM Racing/Mr Goodwrench has released Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrade for the SS that bump HP to to around 230-240hp at the wheels, with aftermarket exhaust. Stage 1 adds a LSD.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't forget that the 2.0L ecotec is more durable (i.e can handle MUCH more hp/tq) and advanced than our 2.4L.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KevsToy
Originally Posted by all4degame
anyone think a SC tC could keep up with a 02 WRX? They're like 227hp @ crank so roughly 195hp-205whp.
Saw you just posted this. I think wrxs dyno even less due to the parasitic awd drivetrain loss. Most I've seen at the track stock usually run low 15s, maybe high 14s. From a roll a supercharged TC should have no problem and i think from a stop 0-60 the tc might have a chance and after that TC would start pulling. The subie also weighs more than the TC as well. WRXs are dogs in stock form. However, curious as to how the upcoming ones will perform, as they will come with 2.5 liters stock. Should help out in the torque and lag department. Course, the cars will be fugly as sin
Bad drivers.

I own an 05 WRX. You are right, they do dyno about 170-175 to the wheels in stock form. But in the quarter mile with a good driver, it's a mid to low 14-sec car. It's no dog. I think a stock for stock race with a s/c tC would be cool, but from a stop it wouldn't be very pretty at all. From a roll it would be interesting.

The new 2.5l WRX is a monster. Way underrated. The 2.0l was rated at 227hp and the 2.5 is rated at 230hp. But most people are dynoing them at around 205+whp which puts the actual crank horsepower up to around 265-270 probably. Turbolag is also completely eliminated. I haven't seen good quater mile times for it yet, but I think they're available on NASOAC.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol @ "a stock for stock race with a s/c tC"

Im sure that made sense in your head before you said it
Old 12-06-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
The new wrx's just so you know are underrated and are laying down great numbers. I tried to buy an 06 wagon but could not justify the price difference between the TC and thre wrx. I got my tc, ordered the trd sc, tein ss-p coil overs, factory ground effects, spoiler, floor matt option, and rear bumper protector, gap protection and the platinum 100K miles warranty for $5000 less than a wrx wagon *LOL*
Did you actually go to the Subaru dealership? Most Subie dealerships are willing to deal really low on price, especially on wagons. I got my 05 premium sedan for $24K out the door with no trade-in in the middle of the year. About $3K under list price. I've heard of wagons being let go for under $20K. Granted, I think they jacked the price of the wagon way up for 06. And they were probably less likely to deal on a brand new 06 when they first came out.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CELL

Well the s/c is a dealer option isn't it? I know they don't sell a tC "Type R" model or what have you but you can leave the dealership with a s/c tC. That's what I meant at any rate.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Skunk

Well the s/c is a dealer option isn't it? I know they don't sell a tC "Type R" model or what have you but you can leave the dealership with a s/c tC. That's what I meant at any rate.
Dealer option or not...supercharging your car isnt stock
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk

Not a dealer option. It must be sold SEPARETLY from the car and after the sale of the car has been made. It's simply a TRD performance part. Some have gotten away with putting in their loan, but toyota makes it clear it's not supposed to be this way. I see where both of you are coming from, but a SS comes with a s/c, a tC has a S/C made for it by TRD/vortech......there's a difference. And if you want my opion.....after several races and such have been done, You'll be able to go either way because it will be too close to say which car is the faster one. It will all depend on driver and track conditions on who will beat who....not the car, they will be too even.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand where you're coming from, but you're arguing semantics.

I'm just saying like Chevy has a Cobalt and a supercharged Cobalt SS. Scion offers the supercharged tC, just not as a seperate model name. I bought a WRX with the optional moonroof. Was my car not stock when I bought it? The line is blurry when you're talking about a dealer installed option, I suppose. But I wouldn't buy a s/c tC off the showroom and say that I modded it.

Regardless, the point stands. A race between a stock WRX and a tC with the optional supercharger would be interesting.