Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...
View Poll Results: which option
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD and keep on dash Garmin
50.00%
Kenwood DNX5120 and loose on dash Garmin
50.00%
other (please specify)
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

I need help choosing a head unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I need help choosing a head unit

So I'm looking into getting an aftermarket head unit soon and am looking for a little guidance from those willing to help me out :-). I want a double-din touch screen with iPod (music and video) capability. A strong iPod interface is high on the list of importance because I hate how hard and tedious it is to navigate through the songs on they stock ipod compatible head unit.

Once place where I'm really stuck is weather or not I want it to have nav. Heres an old pic of what my dash looks like:

as you can see, above my scanguage I have a portable garmin hardwired in. I like its placement because its easy to read while driving. I also like the garmin interface better than any other gps interface I have used, so if I got a unit with navi, I would want it to have garmin built in (which pretty much limits me to kenwood.

I have been leaning toward the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD because it has all the features I'm looking for plus it carries the Pioneer name. However since I have began to consider getting a head unit with navigation and ditching the portable unit I have started to consider units more along the lines of the Kenwood DNX5120...

Do you think it would look weird with just the ScanGuage on the dash and no gps? Do you have any other units than the ones I mention that I should consider? Any advice at all that you all might have to share with me would be much appreciated

...sorry for the long post
Old 11-08-2008, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how bout eclipse they make pretty good decent decks with good sq
Old 11-09-2008, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm looked at some eclipse units that fit my wants, but I dont think I'm interested. I think I have narrowed it down to either getting the AVH-4000DVD and keeping the Garmin on the dash, or the Kenwood DNX5120 and giving the Garmin to my mom....

Anyone have an opinion on what I should do? I'm kinda torn...
Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

added poll
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
SL Member

I just got the Kenwood DNX8120 a couple months ago, and I freakin love it.
I also had a separate Garmin navi, like the one you have now. It is MUCH nicer to have it all in one. The 7" touchscreen LCD is awesome. I did a lot of comparing between the Pioneers and the Kenwoods, and ultimately went with Kenwood.
As you already know, Garmin is pretty awesome, so I'd advise you go with the Kenwood unit. You will not be disappointed.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so its not annoying that you have to look all the way down to your radio to read directions or see what road is coming up? Thats actually what I like most about having a navi. Beyond never having to fear getting lost, even when im driving and not using route guidance, i like being able to tell what road is coming up without having to stress over small road signs lol.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got the kenwood. i love it! those pioneers are cool i install a lot of them at work. but i would prefer the kenwood over the new avic series personally. especially for ipod interface. plus having a portable gps in the car is lame imo.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about the kenwood iPod interface do you like better than that of the Pioneer? I use my iPod for music more than anything so thats definatly important to me...
Old 11-09-2008, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cannot comment on either the 8120, the navigation GUI, or the Pioneer interface, but I own the DDX712 and LOVE IT. The ipod interface is easy to use and read. It reads the ipod faster than any other HU I have seen. In the future (pending wifes approval) I plan on removing my garmin GPS for the Kenwood nav system myself.