Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member

That first console is not the tC, the tC does not have a cassette player

That's like buying potato chips and getting pretzels
Old 08-09-2004, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This dont sound good. Looks like I am getting the brush off on this.

Please wait for a Scion Customer Advocate to respond. You are number 1 in queue.
You are now chatting with Moe
Moe: HI Mike
Moe: How may I help you today?
Mike: Oh Hi Moe..\
Mike: I am looking for an answer on
Mike: the Aluminum **** issue
Mike: YOu and I spoke before on this
Moe: There has been no further update the this issue.
Mike: gee... now what? Nothing is being done?
Moe: Something is but no time frame yet.
Mike: ok.. I wish there was another contact or resource so I can push this further and harder.
Mike: Any suggestions?
Moe: Sorry there is not. we are working on it.
Moe: sorry.
Mike: OK.. I will check back daily.. thanks
Moe: Ok.
Moe: Thank you for visiting. Please contact us again.

I hope there are others calling them daily. Go here
http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...76743&byhref=1
Old 08-09-2004, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default From Scion Corporate...

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Scion would like to officially respond to the questions regarding material content of the temperature control dial in all 2005 Scion tC vehicles.

First and foremost, the ***** in all prototype vehicles used for test purposes by automotive magazines and the ***** in all production vehicles are made of the same materials. There was no running change made since production started, or during the media evaluation process.

As noted in marketing materials, the dial is made of cast aluminum. The cast aluminum is then coated with a clear finish to prevent discoloration and corrosion of the aluminum that would be caused over time by human touch.

The plastic piece on the back of the dial acts as an attachment between the dial and the shaft, and is essential to prevent the transfer of static electricity when in use. This is to ensure that the heater control circuit is not damaged.

We sincerely hope this addresses all concerns regarding the cast aluminum temperature control dial. Scion is dedicated to satisfying its consumers, and appreciates your active participation with the brand. If you have any further questions regarding the dial, please contact the Scion Customer Experience at 1-866-70-SCION or chat online live with a Scion representative at Scion.com (M-F, 6am-5pm PST).
Old 08-09-2004, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, mine is aluminum coated for sure. It's not plastic. my vin # is 5333.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

did you actually get a response from scion that the **** is aluminum? where can i go to get this information.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well , I am an idiot.. shoot me!! ALL our ***** are aluminum.. all of them. AfterI read the post above I decided to pull my **** off and really be sure. At the very least i owe that to you.

Turns out mine was not clear coated but painted. If you can see in the pics I took some 600 grit sand papar to get down to the alumunim. I am going to finish sanding all the paint off and polish it up . I will post a pick of that when I am done..

Again...I oppologize for all the inconvience i have caused. I feel like a jerk!

this is the back side where i scratched it up to make it shiny.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok.. first off.. I have to deeply appologize for this thread.. I screwed up bigtime. I read the above post and decided to take my dash apart and remove this **** to get to the truth.
Turns out mine IS aluminum. It also seems that some ***** were clear coated and other like mine are painted. I hope you can see in the pic where I sanded off some of the center area to expose the aluminum. I am going to finish sanding all of it and polish and post another pic when I am done.

Again, I am very sorry for this mistake.. I feel like a jerk!!

the back! I scratched it up a bit to get that shiny spot.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol~ all that trouble to reaffirm urself that it's aluminum.

when i first read this post..i freaked out too..so i went over to my car and checked the ****. I didn't want ot pull out my dash... so i just did a simple "tap" test.

when metal hits metal..there's no denying that it's metal (aluminum). After few taps... i knew mine was all aluminum. But i guess ur pix confirms that.

But what's the big deal~ it's just a damn ****. u know u would have still bought the tC for the same price if no one mentioned about the **** being aluminum. it's just really minor detail.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

glad you found out it was aluminum! that's great.. doesn't that mean that Scion wasn't lying after all? I think we're used to auto companies screwing us over.. maybe this one shows that Scion is TRYING to change that perception? Maybe we should give them a chance? I know I will.. oh and the guy who had the auto dimming mirror that was supposed to be a compass and turns out it's not? well they owe him a refund.. that's like buying a 2-door and ending up with a 4-door.. not even close..
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default lol

Unnecessary Drama
Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats cool, I am glad it turned out to be aluminum after all. Poor scion reps, someone should send the the link to this thread and an apology.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well gee golly, I was right!

I hope those of you who harassed the scion reps at least have enough shame to apologize to them, because you made complete asses out of yourselves and TC owners in general the way you conducted yourselves in those chats.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is aluminum
Old 08-10-2004, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Portablecow
Hmm, for me a plastic **** works just the same. I'd be afraid of denting the aluminum ****.
The cast aluminum **** would be completely un-dentable. It's not shet metal and the thing is only like 3 inches across. If you hit it with a bat it would probably go through the friggen dash, but I doubt it would be dented.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz

Mistake or not - in a corporation that big crap should be triple checked and then checked 10 more times before it's published - it's not high school - it's real world.
To all the people out there that say this was a little mistake that would have held up production or that it's not a big deal, you obviously don't see the sales side of this. Everyone knows this car rocks, with or without ****. Why did toyota put this big aluminum **** right in the middle of the HVAC panel? Because they knew the people that drive these cars think the thing is ____ing cool! Know what else? If you read all the reviews, nobody talks about the CD compartment or the recirculate button. They talk about the BIG ALUMINUM ****. Cast or machined is totally unimportant. I want a big aluminum **** because it looks and feels cool and expensive. It makes the fit and finish much nicer.

I'm still gonna buy a tC but I'm actually pretty disapointed about all this.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey bud, you might want to have read the entire thread before posting... Most specifically, the second half of page 5.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chachunka
Hey bud, you might want to have read the entire thread before posting... Most specifically, the second half of page 5.
I was getting there. I'm sorry that after reading 4 pages of posts I assumed that there were plastic and aluminum *****. I know even posting this is a waste of people's time so I'm gonna stop now.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default madpb is a complete TOOL....

madpb...you should be forced to place a bumper sticker on your car which reads, "I'm the cheapass loser who _____ed about a **** I thought was plastic"

At least have the decency to edit your post over at www.toyotanation.com and here (and anywhere else you included in your web alert) to alert people NOT to waste their time reading all the whining...ie...goto page 6 to see what a loser I was for ever mentioning this.

But now I'll just laugh real hard...AT you...and me for reading it. :D Too freakin' funny.