Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Short of turbo or head porting, what else can be done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(The LSD is only for MT cars)
ScionFred, how does your car do as far as traction? I might look into boost in the future on my AT
Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^*cries
Old 07-22-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buickid
(The LSD is only for MT cars)
ScionFred, how does your car do as far as traction? I might look into boost in the future on my AT
Traction is very good with the AT. I usually leave the traction control enabled but found that disabling it gained a tenth or two at the strip. Out of 9 runs I only broke loose once and that was with 35 psi in the front tires. After that run I lowered tire pressure to 25 psi and didn't smoke the tires off the line again.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Not to mention the AT to MT swap!

Still waiting on a thread in the TC section to see if the tc 6spd can be swapped in to the tc1's and xb2's
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now that would definitely be neat !
Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a lot of time and money for a small improvement. My co-worker has a 08 VW R32 with the 6 spd DSG and I still beat him in 0-60 and 1/4 mile with a 4 spd auto.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It may not be ultimately worth it, but if the sixth gear is reasonably taller than the current manual's fifth gear, that would be nice! The fifth is a bit low for highway cruising with a 2.4L engine. Your auto's fourth gear is an easily better overdrive.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The extra gear would be very nice to have. I'm just questioning the cost-benefit ratio. $4000-5000 will buy you a turbo kit or a 5 to 6 spd swap. I know which mod I'd do first.

Last edited by ScionFred; 07-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The extra gear would be very nice to have. I'm just questioning the cost-benefit ratio. $4000-5000 will buy you a turbo kit or a 5 to 6 spd swap. I know which mod I'd do first.
The only way it could be feasible is via a junkyard source, and even then it might not be worth it, but it sure would be nice to have a taller top gear !
Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Still waiting on a thread in the TC section to see if the tc 6spd can be swapped in to the tc1's and xb2's

it has! there is a tc1 with the 6speed man. been done for a few weeks now. ask about the xb2 and they need a doner car and the funds...or no kit.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=293

We have a whole 6 speed set up here for sale.
DESCENDANT-Racing
Mount kit: $599.00
USED 6 Speed tC2 trans= $2300.00
6 speed OEM tC2
Shifter box & cable's = $499.95
Axle bearing bracket= $89.95
11 tC ACT clutch kit = $499.95
Shift **** = $49.95
$4038.85

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=269

Here are some for the prices for the swap.
tC2 transmission (Brand New) = $2799.95
tC2 throw out bearing = $189.95
tC2 clutch kit= ACT Clutch = $499.95
tC2 shift cables & shifter box = $499.95
WORLD Racing / DESCENDANT
6 speed swap kit = $695

Total $4682.85

Not including shipping or installation. I don't just make numbers up. Just how much is a taller top gear worth to you?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^well there you have it! thanks scionfred!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're welcome. Sorry to rain on the parade but as cool as this 6 spd swap is, it's also very expensive for the average Scion owner. I suspect that an XB conversion would cost a bit more and know that any AT to MT swap will cost more (new ECU, clutch pedal, master and slave cyl's, etc.).
Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're welcome. Sorry to rain on the parade but as cool as this 6 spd swap is, it's also very expensive for the average Scion owner. I suspect that an XB conversion would cost a bit more and know that any AT to MT swap will cost more (new ECU, clutch pedal, master and slave cyl's, etc.).
So, you're saying (for example) the six speed requires an ACT clutch? That should be a performance mod, not basic install. Looks to me like that recipe is designed specifically for performance and is therefore inflated (to be expected with a performance shop behind it). However, even a bare bones conversion may still be too expensive for someone just wanting a taller top gear.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're right! I found another TC clutch kit for only $300. That brings the cost down to a very affordable $3800 + shipping and installation. Maybe you could re-use the clutch from the used 6 spd and save another $300. Only $3500 + shipping and installation. Now that's a deal!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're right! I found another TC clutch kit for only $300. That brings the cost down to a very affordable $3800 + shipping and installation. Maybe you could re-use the clutch from the used 6 spd and save another $300. Only $3500 + shipping and installation. Now that's a deal!
Sarcasm, sarcasm -- given it'd be going into an xB2 and not a performance build, perhaps many existing xB2 parts would work. Can't easily get around the cost of the transmission of course, but what would a real junkyard price be? The tC2 hasn't been out all that long, but what other cars use that same transmission?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just went through the swap thread and pulled the posts that seemed most informative (Cliff Notes version ). Doesn't seem likely they'll do it for the xB2, appears the usual deal where forum guys talk things up and then lose interest. Would be interesting to know what the axle associated mods are and exactly why it's necessary to change the entire shift linkage (including cage).

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=1
Originally Posted by crush02342002
correct me if im wrong but

05-10 first gen tc

1st-3.583:1
2nd-2.045:1
3rd-1.333:1
4th-0.972:1
5th-0.0775:1
Final drive-4.235:1
---------------------------------------------------
2011 second gen tc (numbers rounded)

1st-3.54:1
2nd-2.05:1
3rd-1.38:1
4th-1.03:1
5th-0.88:1
6th-0.73:1
Final drive-4.06:1
That's a top of 3.2821:1 for the five speed, and 2.9638:1 for the six.
Originally Posted by trd07tc
this will require 3 new transmission mounts
Originally Posted by MrBurrito
don't forget the clutch as the stock tc1 clutch does not match up to the splines of the tc2 transmission.
Originally Posted by TCpete
sup travis. when i talked to a friend who was a service tech he went over some of the new specs with me and showed me an already cracked open bell housing. he was taking it apart just for kicks to see if the 05-06 LSD would in any way be compatible. after he inspected the trans and looked up some components, he shared with me that the trans didnt have as many fail points as the previous (ie no more copper/brass parts, weak synchro design, and higher grade machined gears amongst a few things). i wasnt there to verify but thats what we discussed. he said the shifting should be super smooth and not so sloppy also from the new updates. the common 2nd gear pop or 5th gear pop was fixed from the prev. e350. and the spline/shafts for the gears also looked beefier. im going on what he says. im gona look at the trans myself later this month for kicks also.
Originally Posted by gtfourtc
this is good, here is a little info on the new 6 speed

http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-mr2-s...smissions.html

now if only toyota would make a 6 speed awd transmision
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=103

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=175

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=181

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=190

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=193

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=214

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=224
Originally Posted by BlackKnight
The clutch and pressure plate part numbers are different according to www.toyodiy.com also you don't have to go with ACT there are other brands out there including factory, not saying it would make sense to use the factory clutch but just saying you could.

FYI, www.trdsparks gave me pricing for the transmission $2,264.84.

Also the flywheel is the same according to toyodiy both list the identical part numbers.

Remember just cause the part number is different doesn't mean the part is physically different (sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't), manufactures change part numbers for various reasons. Have you physically witnessed the different parts?
Originally Posted by trd07tc
Originally Posted by ElevationTC
SO what all here is custom?
Im guessing all 3 transmission mounts. We'll see.
Originally Posted by Travis589
This is true. The only reason I said the parts wont work is because that is not what they are putting in mine. They suggested replacing all (clutch, flywheel, axles) while installing the 6speed just in case they had to be slighty modified.
Not only are the transmission mounts custom, I was informed that they had to modify the motor mounts and the axles are modified. You can't just use stock ones or others you buy. They will have to sent out for fabrication.

That is cheap for a transmission, was that for the 5speed or 6 speed cuz my old 5speed is $3,500 new from Toyota.
Originally Posted by r2d2michael
holy *****! i would hate to see what a new 6-speed auto would cost!. used iv seen on ebay from 1500-2000
Originally Posted by Rob_DESCENDANT
The swap will consist of the following parts:

3-WORLD Racing / DESCENDANT motor mount's
1-WORLD Racing / DESCENDANT axle carrier bearing
2-WORLD Racing / DESCENDANT custom drive shaft
1-WORLD Racing / DESCENDANT hardware & clutch cable kit

Parts you'll have to source:

tC2 transmission
tC2 clutch kit
Originally Posted by Kareem_Descendant
You will also need tC2 shifter box and shifter cables.

www.DESCENDANT-racing.com
www.WORLD-racing.com
www.WORLD-motorsports.com
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=264

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=266
Want to say thanks for the badass install on my new six speed and osgiken lsd, by far a requirement for the tc in my opinion. Fully enjoyed the 1400 Mile trip back to Texas, didn't have a single problem with the new drivetrain.

I was hitting 35mpg the way home which I plan on improving even more.

Will be hitting y'all up for brakes and wheels very soon.

Thanks
Travis H
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=300

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=305

Rob/kareem/All,

Just wanted to let y'all know I have had zero issues with the 6speed y'all dropped in my ride, I have almost 2500 miles on it so far and she is just smooth. Its just hard for me to keep my foot out of the gas because that lsd y'all also installed is what the tc should have come with standard. Still haven't made up my mind if I wanted to add anymore power but I do want those brakes. I will try and give y'all a call this week and put in my order for them.

As for the shifter cage for the 6speed, it dropped right in using the old mounting points from the 5 speed. Now keep in mind I still haven't installed my console but so far there has been no modification and I don't anticipate any.

I will try and post some photos of the finished product in my tc but please keep in mind its all mounted and you really wont be able to see a whole lot except for the new mounting brackets and six speed shifter cage. You might have better luck looking back on page 12 when photos of the engine/transmission were out of the car.
In sixth gear at 70mph I am pulling 2800rpm where as with only the five speed I was pulling over 3200rpm's. So yes, the added gear on a stock tc motor will enable the car to reach a higher top end speed. If I am not mistaken the stock tc engine is limited to 6200rpm. If the engine were tuned it can't exceed that rpm. I know of a NA tc that was tuned and was reaching 7800rpm.

Just one more thing to add to the list, a new engine tune.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...&postcount=331
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good work! that took some time. i did this on paper myself lol
Old 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, sixth gear, 70 mph @2800 rpm....in my auto, I hit 80mph @3k rpm....Think I'll stick with my slushbox and worry about putting a hairdryer on it until the new tc's become "older" and I can find a junked one to take the tranny out of for cheap. I could never justify spending on a TRANSMISSION, what I spent on the car. 0_o
Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Sarcasm, sarcasm -- given it'd be going into an xB2 and not a performance build, perhaps many existing xB2 parts would work. Can't easily get around the cost of the transmission of course, but what would a real junkyard price be? The tC2 hasn't been out all that long, but what other cars use that same transmission?
When you figure out how to swap a 6 spd into a XB2 for a cost that can be recovered by fuel expense savings in under 300,000 miles burning $4/gal gas, let me know. I may become interested.

Quick Reply: Short of turbo or head porting, what else can be done?